Tuesday, March 4, 2008

3/14 or Sooner

I went to the ob this morning. I'm still dilated the same as last week but effaced more. I've lost two pounds and my blood pressure was 130/83. After being asked numerous questions she confirmed what I thought....my body is getting ready to go into labor.

I did test positive for Group B Strep. Because of this, I will have to be given penicillin antibiotics during labor/delivery. Here's information regarding Group B Strep:

Group B Strep, also known as Beta Strep or GBS is a bacteria that can live within humans. About 25% of women are carriers of this bacteria and don't even know it. They don't have any feelings of illness and are not sick. It is not a sexually transmitted disease. The risk to your baby comes at birth. 98-99% of all babies born to infected mothers will not become infected, if treated. Of those who become infected few will have any problems with the treatment for the infection.

If I haven't gone into labor by Friday 3/14 they will induce me that day. I go back to the ob next week on Tuesday 3/11 and the labor plan will be confirmed. She said they may end up admitting me on Thursday, 3/13 so I can start the antibiotic I.V. No matter what, I've got 10 days left at most to be pregnant. Hopefully, I'll go into labor on my own.

I was really hoping that I would have been induced this week but at the moment I'm sick. My ob felt with me being sick and the stress of labor it wouldn't be a good idea at this time since I'm so clogged up and it's not a medical emergency. I was disappointed but I'm sure this will be the best decision in the long run.

No comments: